Sunday, August 04, 2019

Business English - job interview: marketing

Business English conversation at a job interview for a position in marketing designed for advanced learners. Includes questions and answers, useful phrases and vocabulary.





1. Listen and answer questions below:

a) Why does David want to change his current job?
b) What made David answer this particular job offer?
c) What is David's greatest flaw?



2. Now listen again and check with the reading whether you answered correctly.


- Hi David, thank you for coming. As you know, we’re currently interviewing for a position of marketing assistant. First things first. Why don’t you tell me a bit about yourself.

- Thank you for the opportunity. I’m currently an office manager at Smart Software. Before that I was studying for a degree in marketing at the University of Exeter and working at a fitness centre. During that time I acquired some essential sales experience and developed my people skills. Now I’m ready to move on to a more responsible position, where I could apply my professional knowledge. That’s why I was really looking forward to taking part in this process.

- And  how long have you been working for your current employer?

- For almost two years.

- Two years? Is there no marketing department in your company?

- Of course there is.

- Because, you see, what I’m struggling with, is why you’d choose to leave a long-time employer at a point, when you could easily negotiate a promotion or a different set of tasks, more in line with your education. Provided that, of course, you’ve proved yourself worthy of that privilege. But perhaps you haven’t. Help me to understand what is the reason why you want to change your job.

You should be prepared for challenging questions at a job interview


- I think it’s fair to say that I’ve proved myself extensively. And it has been recognized. I received numerous praises from my boss for my significant commitment and outstanding performance. I have brought up this matter with him recently.  Unfortunately my request was denied. They explained all job vacancies were filled and the company wasn’t looking to expand. My boss said they needed me at my current position and that there was no room for any experiments. Then, of course, he assured me once again how much they valued my work.

- Sounds like a slap in the face.

- It sure felt like it. But I don’t hold a grudge. They’re entitled to their own vision. I accept that their plans for the company may differ from mine.

- Awww… how very big-hearted of you. Fair enough. Now. How did you hear about this position?

- I’m actively looking for a job at the moment. I found your advert on get-a-job-dot-com while searching for a position in marketing. It caught my attention right away.

- What was it exactly that caught your eye?

- I found your company mission statement highly appealing. Especially the fact that you encourage personal development.

- Indeed. We believe that investment in human capital is one of the pillars of a successful business. But let’s move on to the next question. Why did you choose a career in marketing?

You should know some basic facts about the company you decide to interview with


- First of all, I am deeply fascinated by the creative process behind marketing campaigns. It’s where different ideas come together to form carefully thought-out strategies. If everything goes well, the final product is a masterpiece. Second – the people factor. In order to be successful in marketing, you need to learn how to properly identify your target audience. Which means you need to know the ways in which people think, how they react, and you need to take into account their inherent unpredictability and inconsistency.

- Are YOU inherently inconsistent?

- I would hope not. Although on a subconscious level I probably am, as most people are. The trick is to know how to overcome it when necessary. At work, for instance.

- Nice save. What type of work environment do you prefer?

- I have worked in different types of environments. But I think what I’d enjoy the most is working in an environment where people are casual and laid-back but also motivated, passionate and like to get things done.

- Ok! Now, could you tell me what your greatest achievement is?

- When I was working at the fitness centre, I came up with an idea for a campaign which attracted lots of new customers.

- And your greatest weakness?

- My greatest weakness would have to be my hyperactivity. I’m unable to sit still for very long and I prefer to multitask rather than focus on one thing at a time.

- Some might consider that an asset.

- Well, I’m glad to hear that.

- Do you have any questions?

- Yes, if I may. What are day-to-day responsibilities of this job?

- You’re going to work in a team managed by an experienced marketer. The team have daily meetings, brainstorming sessions and presentations.

- And what are the next steps in the interview process?

- You’ll be asked to come again and meet the team. They’ll give you some tasks to complete and they’ll evaluate your performance. Based on that evaluation we will make our final decision.


3. Write in the comments:

a) What is your work experience?
b) Describe your current position.
c) Justify why you deserve a promotion.


4. Now practice what you've learned with the video lesson.




Photos by freepik.com

No comments:

Post a Comment